Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mouth and Mind

“The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart… sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb… and in keeping of them there is great reward.  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my Strength, and my Redeemer” (Psalm 19:8-14).  “My son, eat thou honey, because it is good; and the honeycomb, which is sweet to thy taste:  so shall the knowledge of wisdom be unto thy soul: when thou hast found it, then there shall be a reward, and thy expectation shall not be cut off” (Proverbs 24:13,14).  “Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else” (Isaiah 45:22).  “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works” (2 Timothy 3:16,17). 

The statutes of the Lord are right,
And knowing this, I will rejoice!
My meditation day and night
Is in the sweetness of God’s voice!

Yes, sweeter than the honeycomb
Are words inspired by the Lord
That teach us heaven is our home
And Christ Himself is our Reward. 

In honey there’s a parallel
Portrayed in how we think and eat: 
As on the Word of God we dwell,
We’re strengthened, and His voice is sweet.

My mouth thus hungers for His Word;
My meditation seeks to find
The thoughts of God, and I am stirred
With joy that satisfies my mind.

The Word of God gives expectation
Of things He promised He will do.
Our faith thus grows by meditation,
Convincing us His Word is true. 

Our mouth is then prepared to speak
The truth transcending mere opinion. 
We therefore plead with souls to seek
The safety of our Lord’s dominion.

Though some will mock how we’ve behaved,
We must not alter what God said:
“Look unto Me, and be ye saved!” 
This is His Gospel that we spread.

All Scripture is by God inspired
And carries His authority.
There’s nothing more that is required: 
It is the Truth that makes us free.

O Lord, we thank You that You placed
Your words within our mouth and mind.
How sweet Your words are to our taste!
How great Your thoughts are that we find!


No comments: