Sunday, April 28, 2013

Dear Shepherd vs. Death's Shadow

The LORD is my Shepherd… Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me” (Psalm 23:1-4).  “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy” (Proverbs 28:13).  “Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee… Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands” (Isaiah 49:8-16).  “The kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us” (Titus 3:4,5).

The Lord is my Shepherd; I’ve no cause for fear,
For death cannot threaten my soul now with loss.  
Though all of my sins on a long list appear,
Praise God!  All my sins were removed by His cross!

The Lord is my Refuge, my wonderful King,
My Shepherd who selflessly laid down His life,
My Hero who died to rob death its sting,  
And my risen Savior, triumphant in strife!

The shadow of death cannot cover our sins,
For death has no mercy on those without Christ.
There’s only one way that salvation begins: 
By trusting the Shepherd for us sacrificed.

Today is the day that our Lord Jesus stands
And knocks on the door to gain entrance to hearts.
Behold, He is knocking with nail-scarred hands,
Yet many refuse Him, and mercy departs!

The kindness and love of our God has appeared
By sending our Shepherd, His own precious Son!
For us our Lord died that our debt may be cleared,
That death might be conquered, and salvation won! 

For us He was laid in a laid in a tomb for three days
Allowing death’s shadow upon Him to loom.
For us He then rose, filling hearts with His praise,
Displaying the proof of His vacated tomb!

O Lord, our dear Shepherd, we see now this table
You’re spreading before us in view of our foes.
The bread and the wine tell us how You were able
To purchase salvation when You died and rose.

Victorious Shepherd, You gave Your last breath
And fought on the cross till the work was completed.
The valley remains with its shadow of death,
Yet now we rejoice that its sting is defeated!


No comments: