Monday, March 30, 2015

Transforming Triumph


"By this I know that Thou favorest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me" (Psalm 41:11).  "Every word of God is pure: He is a Shield unto them that put their trust in Him" (Proverbs 30:5).  "Then said I, Woe is me!  For I am undone... Then flew one of the seraphims unto me... and said... thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged" (Isaiah 6:5-7).  "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 7:24,25). 

The Lord has favored me, I know,
Because He shields me within
And does not let my ardent foe
(My sinful nature in me) win. 

Isaiah saw the majesty
Of God Almighty on His throne,
But then he saw the infamy
Of his own wretchedness made known. 

We see the prophet in distress
As he beheld himself so flawed,
In contrast to the holiness
And splendor of Almighty God. 

We heed Isaiah's lamentation:
"I am undone!" we hear him say.
How sweet then was the transformation
When God had purged his sin away.

We hear it from the heart of Paul
Who knew his "wretched man" inside. 
The Lord records it for us all
That we might cast away our pride. 

Lord, who can rescue us at last
From all our sinful tendency? 
We thank You for Your love so vast
And for Your truth that makes us free! 

O Lord, we triumph in Your love
As You transform us by Your grace
Till we are gathered all above
To praise and thank You face to face.  


No comments: