Thursday, April 05, 2018

Yearning from my Youth

"O God, Thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared Thy wondrous works.  Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have showed Thy strength unto this generation" (Psalm 71:17,18).  "For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and He pondereth all his goings" (Proverbs 5:21).  "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth… Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good" (3 John 1:4,11).

There was a yearning from my youth,
From which I never could depart: 
It was a hunger for the truth
That God had placed within my heart. 

The truth for which my heart had yearned
Was found in Christ and His salvation,
And, like a fire, it has burned
With longing for this generation. 

Yes, even as I'm growing old,
There is no quenching of this flame
That's fueled by truth that must be told
To show why Christ our Savior came.  

This yearning from my youth, O Savior,
By grace is burning, as it should,
To show the lost Your saving favor
And to proclaim that You are good.  


No comments: