Friday, May 02, 2014

Awl in All


“If he [the servant] say… I will not go away from thee; because he loveth thee and thine house, because he is well with thee, then thou shalt take an awl, and thrust it through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant forever” (Deuteronomy 15:16,17).  “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for My sake, the same shall save it” (Luke 9:24).

There was a time in Israel,
When servants, at their seventh year,
Could be released or choose to dwell
With one who then would pierce the ear. 

The reason for that choice was love,
To pierce the ear, then, with an awl. 
So likewise drawn to Christ above,
My heart submits now to His call.

How right it is to truly say
With full surrender of my heart:
O Lord, I will not go away! 
Where would I go if depart? 

I choose the awl, and not release,
For it is well when I surrender
To Christ, the Author of my peace,
My Lord, my Shepherd, and Defender. 

All other options are so grim,
For life apart from Christ is vain,
But life surrendered now to Him
Secures from Christ eternal gain.   

Lord, thank for this gracious choice
To give my all in all to You! 
The awl that pierces is Your voice,
So faithful, merciful, and true.

O Lord, You saved me from perdition
To hear Your voice and to seek Your face:
Now have Your way in full submission  
As I declare Your saving grace!  


No comments: