Saturday, February 07, 2009

Appealing to the Apple

"Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of Thy wings" (Psalm 17:8). "Keep My commandments, and live, and My law as the apple of thine eye" (Proverbs 7:2). "Nevertheless, I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love" (Revelation 2:4).

Lord, I know You hear me when I lift to You my cry;
You have heard the prayer that my soul in trouble brings:
Keep me as the apple of Your ever watchful eye;
Hide me now, O Lord, beneath the shadow of Your wings.

I have a calm assurance, Lord, in knowing that You heard,
And yet you have alerted me with words of Your correction:
That I should keep the precepts that You gave me Your Word,
And keep them as the apple of my eye with great affection.

And while we're on the subject of affections of my heart,
You remind me that there was a season of first love.
You have told me to recall the thrill of that new start,
Repent, and set affections once again on things above.

I know I am the apple of Your searching eye, O Lord.
Your love has never wavered, though my love is up and down.
I thank You for reproving me to seek but one reward:
That I may love You in return and seek no other crown.

No comments: