Friday, March 04, 2016

Offering for Onesimus


"He shall offer for his offering... the sacrifice of thanksgiving of his peace offerings " (Leviticus 7:13).  "And now, Lord, what wait I for?  My hope is in Thee.  Deliver me from all my transgressions" (Psalm 39:7,8).  "I beseech thee for my son Onesimus (derived from ονινημι = to have joy) whom I have begotten in my bonds: if he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account... I will repay it... let me have joy (ονινημι) of thee in the Lord” (Philemon 10-20). 

We join the blood-bought, grateful ranks
Of those who place their trust in Christ
As we recall with joy and thanks
That He for us was sacrificed. 

There is no other valid claim
For peace with God we're waiting for. 
Our only hope is in the name
Of Jesus Christ whom we adore. 

Our Savior's payment for us pleads
As Paul did for Onesimus. 
Our Savior likewise intercedes
With joy for every one of us! 

O Lord, we see how You employ
Onesimus whom Paul defended
To show an image of Your joy
And of the offering You extended! 


No comments: