Monday, January 27, 2014

Perfecting Patience


“Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word… It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn Thy statutes” (Psalm 119:67,71).  “Faithful are the wounds of a friend… My son, be wise, and make My heart glad, that I may answer him that reproacheth Me” (Proverbs 27:6,11).  “The trying of your faith worketh patience.  But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing… Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” (James 1:3,4,17).

The psalmist pondered his affliction
And knew, at last, that it was good.
We need to have the same conviction,
To see things as we rightly should. 

The Lord will work in every heart
Of all His children He will win.  
He sees our stubborn inward part
Where we are yet inclined to sin. 

How faithful is this mighty Friend
Who teaches us with perfect love
That nurtures patience in the end
Which God has sent us from above! 

“My son, be wise,” we hear Him say,
And here His heart to us He shows: 
It gives Him joy when we obey,  
And thus He answers all His foes. 

As we encounter every trial,
We’re told that we should count it joy,
For thus we see our Savior’s smile
Along with patience we employ.

O Lord, we thank You for this goal
By which our life is thus directed:  
When You are glad, our joy is full
And patience thereby is perfected. 

Lord, teach us how to better be
Perfected by Your patient love,
So that the lost may clearly see
Your grace that comes down from above.  


No comments: