Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Lifting our Looking

“Unto Thee lift I up mine eyes, O Thou that dwellest in the heavens… Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those that are at ease, and with the contempt of the proud” (Psalm 123:1-4).  “My son, be wise, and make My heart glad, that I may answer him that reproacheth Me” (Proverbs 27:11).  “Son of man, hast thou seen this?” (Ezekiel 47:6).  “David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit Thou on My right hand, till I make Thine enemies Thy footstool” (Luke 20:42,43).

There is a place to lift our eyes
Above this world’s loud derision
To hear God say, “My son, be wise,”
And let Him only fill our vision. 

We know that we are not exempt
From difficulty and from trial,
Yet we should see our foe’s contempt
Eclipsed by Christ to view His smile. 

Have not we seen the prophecies
That Christ upon His throne shall rule,
Until, at last, His enemies
Beneath His feet shall be His stool?

We need to lift our eyes to Him
And let contempt evaporate!
He fills our cup beyond the brim
With love that leaves no room for hate.

We look now on the harvest field
With vision Christ has clarified 
To see the treasures there concealed
In precious souls for which He died.

We see the longing of His heart
By meditating on His Word,
And with His longing we take part
With love that makes His Gospel heard.

O Lord, we thank You for this view
That fills our vision with Your love!
We lift our eyes, at last, to You
And fix our hearts on things above. 


No comments: