Thursday, August 08, 2013

Songs of my Sojourn

“I remembered Thy judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself… Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage” (Psalm 119:52,54).  “Doth not wisdom cry?... I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment” (Proverbs 8:1,20).  “When I have executed judgments… they shall know that I am the LORD their God” (Ezekiel 28:26).  “My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior… For He that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is His name… He hath shewed strength with His arm; He hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts” (Luke 1:46-51). 

The songs of my sojourn that comfort my soul
Are given by God in His marvelous Word,
Reminding me daily that He’s in control
By showing His judgments of old that occurred. 

Does not the great wisdom of God cried aloud?
Has not the Lord shown me His light on my path? 
Has not He brought down the high looks of the proud?
I sing for His judgments that save me from wrath! 

The judgments of God which have been executed
Astonish my soul when I’m pondering Christ! 
His pains on the cross for me had been suited,
Yet it was for me He was then sacrificed!

How shall I not magnify Him with my voice?!
My soul has a song that is filled with His praise!
Though I am a pilgrim, my heart shall rejoice
With songs that adore Him for all of my days!

My soul is rejoicing in Jesus my Savior: 
How great is His mercy!  How strong is His arm! 
He took all my judgment to give me His favor;
He stood in my place to protect me from harm! 

How vainly the proud, who supposed themselves wise,
Would seal the tomb of our Savior that day!
In three days He rose, to their fearful surprise,
And thereby His triumph was put on display!

O Lord, we give thanks for the songs that You give
To every sojourner who trusts in Your name!
Because You are living, we also shall live:  
How sweet is the Gospel Your pilgrims proclaim!   


No comments: