Saturday, February 09, 2013

Light vs. Liars

“Great men are not always wise” (Job 32:9).  “I love the LORD, because He hath heard my voice... I said in my haste, All men are liars” (Psalm 116:1-11).  “Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding… The knowledge of the Holy is understanding” (Proverbs 9:6,10).  “What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?... We are more than conquerors through Him that loved us” (Romans 8:31-37).

I said in my haste that all people are liars,
And therefore I thought I could not know the truth.
Recalling my thoughts and my deepest desires,
I came to despair in the days of my youth.

Since authors opposing each other debated,
Exclusively writing from their points of view,
They couldn’t be both right in what they had stated,
And so I decided that no one was true. 

Yet one thing was certain that none could refute:
I knew that the day of my death would arrive.
Each day it came closer, that great absolute: 
The promise that no one on earth would survive.

I looked all around, finding only despair: 
Since all men were liars, to whom could I speak?
At last I looked up, just in case God was there; 
I ran out of options!  Who else could I seek?

Praise God, who in darkness extended His light! 
The truth was not found in debates that were vain,
But rather in Christ who had entered our night
To grant us salvation and make His way plain! 

How could I have missed His great truth on display?
Christ came in fulfillment of what prophets said!
He suffered, He died, and upon the third day, 
Just as He had promised, He rose from the dead!

So what shall we say then in view of these things?
Since God is now for us, no foe can prevail!
We’ve come to the Savior, the King of all kings,
Whose counsel shall stand when all liars shall fail.

O Lord, we give thanks for the light of Your Word
Exposing the lies and revealing Your love.
Now help us declare this great truth we have heard:
The Gospel that shines with Your light from above.

No comments: