Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Frightful Fretting

“I know that… no thought can be withholden from Thee… I uttered that [which] I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not… Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes” (Job 42:2-6).  “I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto Thy testimonies.  I made haste” (Psalm 119:59,60).  “The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD” (Proverbs 19:3).  “The wisdom of God... none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory” (1 Corinthians 2:6-8). 

There is no deed, no word, or thought
Withheld from God’s omniscient mind.
Before our work is ever wrought,
He knows the way we are inclined.

The tongue may utter things in haste
And neither care for those offended,
Nor for the time that it will waste,
Nor for the damage unintended.

How foolishly a soul may fret
Against the LORD and His command!
How frightfully do hearts forget
That it is GOD whom they withstand!

We ought to think upon our way
To see if we have been unwise,
And turn our feet without delay
To find approval in God’s eyes.

The wisdom of this world failed
To recognize the Lord who came
Whom they rejected and assailed
When on the cross He bore our shame.

Yet we who have received the Savior,
Who by His Spirit have been sealed,
Should hasten now to show behavior
By which His Gospel is revealed.

Now let us think upon these things
As Job who found God’s patient grace,
Before our frightful fretting brings
Such damage we cannot erase.

O Lord, as You now search our ways
Within the temple of each heart,
Replace our foolishness with praise;
Bid every fretting thought depart! 

No comments: