Thursday, June 21, 2012

Clearly Cleaving

“Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.... And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go, and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me” (Ruth 1:14-17). “The man that wandereth out of the way of understanding shall remain in the congregation of the dead” (Proverbs 21:16). “Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?” (John 6:68).

Let us search our hearts and ponder
(Surely God is doing so):
Does our heart from God yet wander?
Will we stay, or will we go?

See the kiss that Orpah gave: 
It wasn't like the heart of Ruth.
Orpah left, but Ruth still clave:
Their actions showed the inner truth.

Hear the passion in Ruth’s voice
Who said “Entreat me not to leave!”
Clearly she had made a choice
With all her heart and soul to cleave.

Is this not our need today
In view of what our Savior said?
“Will ye also go away?”
Or will you cling to Christ instead?

Now shouldn’t we perceive it odd
That we are plagued with hesitation
To fully give our hearts to God,
Who gave Himself for our salvation?

O Lord, revive our hearts anew!
Ignite our passion!  Stir the fire
Of love that clearly cleaves to You
And purifies our heart’s desire!

No comments: