Monday, August 17, 2009

Verily Vanity

"Verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity.... And now, Lord, what wait I for? My hope is in Thee.... O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more" (Psalm 39:5,6,13). "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet, ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.... If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them" (John 13:15-17).

Verily vanity! That's all that I am,
Unless I am living my life for the Lord,
But now that I'm washed in the blood of the Lamb,
There's more to my life I can now look toward!

Verily vanity is self-centered strife,
For age, wealth, and power, the grave will soon swallow!
But Jesus our Lord has portrayed by His life
A higher example that His own should follow.

Verily vanity: It need not be so,
For we may be spared from a life lived in vain!
The way that our Savior has taught us we know:
By laying His life down, His love was made plain.

Verily vanity? No, not in the Lord,
For He sheds His light on the way that is true
And gives to us grace that will thereby afford
The power to do what we know we should do!

No comments: