Saturday, September 13, 2008

Familiar Friend

"Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.... By this I know that Thou favorest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me" (Psalm 41:9,11). "He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed" (Proverbs 13:20).

This world poses as a friend,
Yet readily betrays
The one whose morals will not bend,
Conforming to its ways.

This world's friendship still, I know,
Will call me with seduction,
Yet lift its heel as my foe
And seek my soul's destruction.

I have a Friend Who cannot fail,
Who shields me with favor.
My enemy shall not prevail,
Because He is my Savior.

The wise will choose companions well
Who also love the Christ
Who rescued them from sin and hell
When He was sacrificed.

Beware of the familiar friend
That laughs and leads astray
Until your path comes to its end,
Then looks the other way.

No comments: