Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Desire v. Disinterest

"Oh that My people had hearkened unto Me, and Israel had walked in My ways! I should soon have subdued their enemies.... and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee" (Psalm 81:11-16). "Oh that thou hadst hearkened to My commandments! Then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea" (Isaiah 48:17,18).

How can we possibly yawn in the face
Of God who is pleading with us?
In view of His passion, how great our disgrace
That we should respond to Him thus!

Can we not hear His depth of desire?
Has apathy deafened our ears?
Can we be cold in the light of His fire?
And are we not moved by His tears?

"Oh that My people had listened to Me!"
Our passionate Savior has cried.
For then by His hand would our enemies flee,
And thus would we be satisfied.

Then shall our peace like a river thus flow
And our righteousness be as the waves.
Then shall our Savior be pleased to bestow
The passion our spirit now craves.

No comments: