Sunday, July 29, 2007

Weakness of my Woes

"In my distress I cried unto the Lord, and He heard me.... Woe is me.... My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace. I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war" (Psalm 120:1,5,7). "He that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.... If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man, whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest" (Proverbs 29:1,9). "Then came the Jews round about Him, and said unto Him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If Thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not.... Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him" (John 10:24,25,31).

Woe is me! I've lived so long,
With those who hate the word of peace.
No matter what I say, it's wrong;
They war with words that never cease.

And so I turned to God distressed,
And in effect He answered me:
Why are you expecting rest
From souls who spurn God's remedy?

It's been the same from age to age;
They scorned your Lord on earth as well.
Yes, you may laugh or you may rage,
But souls still choose to go to hell.

Of course you dwell with those who hate
The Gospel more each time they hear it!
Yet thirsty souls still yearn and wait,
Responsive to God's Holy Spirit.

At last I see reality!
God's Spirit and His Word expose
That I forget eternity
When dwelling on my selfish woes.

No comments: