Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Debt of Death

"God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy, there is none that doeth good, no not one.... My soul, wait thou only upon God.... He only is my rock and my salvation" (Psalm 53:2,3, 62:5,6). "The Son of God... loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain" (Galatians 2:20,21).

If righteousness could come by law,
Then why did Jesus die?
Is that what God looked down and saw?
We needed just to try?

What awful pride and foolishness
It is to entertain
The notion that for righteousness
Our Savior died in vain!

As if we could ourselves atone
For sin by being nice!
As if another way was known
To pay our ransom's price!

Give thanks, my soul, to God above,
And worship Jesus Christ,
Who gave Himself for me in love!
Nought else would have sufficed.

No comments: