Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Remembering the Rescue

"When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then Thou knewest my path.... no man cared for my soul. I cried unto Thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living" (Psalm 142:3-5). And it came to pass, that, as I made my journey, and was come nigh unto Damascus about noon, suddenly there shone from heaven a great light round about me. And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou Me? And I answered, Who art Thou, Lord? And He said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest" (Acts 22:6-8).

Lord, You knew the fearful path
I walked when no one cared.
The end in sight: eternal wrath,
And I was unprepared!

Time was like an hour glass;
The sands were almost gone!
My journey soon would come to pass
And time just pressed me on.

I remember very well
That overwhelming stress,
As death approached along with hell,
I froze in helplessness.

At last, O Lord, I cried to You,
And hoped that You would hear.
And there You were, my path You knew,
And You were always near.

Jesus, Lord, what shall I say,
Of love that rescued me?
I never will forget that day
For all eternity!

No comments: