Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Countering the Curse

"In the morning will I direct my prayer unto Thee, and will look up.... I will come into Thy house in the multitude of Thy mercy. Lead me, O Lord, in Thy righteousness... make Thy way straight before my face" (Psalm 5:3,7,8). "The curse causeless shall not come" (Proverbs 26:2). "Despisest thou the riches of His goodness and forbearance and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?" (Romans 2:4).

Surely the curse that is causeless won't come,
And yet we can see its effect everywhere.
Sin, death, and sickness touch all, not just some,
And so I will look up and lift up my prayer.

For the goodness of God has countered the curse,
And leads us aright to repent of our sin.
The Spirit of Christ calls the best to the worst,
In patience and mercy to let Him come in.

No comments: