Sunday, January 02, 2005

For Want of Wings

"And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! For then I would fly away, and be at rest.... As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me.... Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee" (Psalm 55:6,16,22).

And what if God should grant this prayer
To fly from trouble through the air,
With wings that lift us as a dove
From our unrest, to hide above?

Could not our Lord have likewise fled,
Instead of dying in our stead?
Was this the path our Savior took?
Was there a task that He forsook?

No, that's not what Jesus did,
When trouble came, He was not hid.
And neither should we thus escape,
To hide from every cut or scrape.

So let's be mindful when we pray:
We cannot always fly away.
But if we cast on God our pain
His promise is: "He shall sustain."

No comments: