Saturday, July 02, 2011

Trilogy of Tragedy

"Mine AGE... is altogether VANITY.... Man walketh in a VAIN show... he heapeth up RICHES, and knoweth not who shall gather them.... Thou makest his BEAUTY to consume away as a moth: surely every man is VANITY.... O spare me, before I go hence, and be no more" (Psalm 39:5-13). "A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. And He spake a parable unto them saying... A certain rich man... thought within himself, saying.... Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night shall thy soul be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou has provided?" (Luke 12:15-21).

My fleeting age is vanity
By God's eternal measure,
And things accumulated flee,
Depleting earthly treasure.

Whatever beauty there may be,
The years shall soon consume.
Lord, spare me from futility
In life before the tomb!

For as a steward I must give
Account for temporal gain.
O spare me, Lord, that I may live
A life that's not in vain!

Whatever now is left of days,
Of wealth, or of attraction,
I would surrender for Your praise
Instead of vain distraction.

I hear that painful parable
And shudder at the thought,
Of life perceived to be so full
Which may be spent for naught!

Eternity! Eternity!
Lord, keep this thought in view
To spare me from the tragedy
Of life not lived for You!

No comments: