Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Where is the Well?

"O God... my soul thirsteth for Thee; my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is" (Psalm 63:1). "Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom. A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.... The wellspring of wisdom [is] as a flowing brook" (Proverbs 18:1-4). "If they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?" (Luke 23:31).

I searched for water in this land,
But every well was dry.
No one sought to understand
What happens when we die.

I searched for answers to explain
The reason for our life.
My questions only brought disdain
And generated strife.

I only sought for honesty;
I found myself alone.
Was no one else athirst but me
For truth that might be known?

My thirst to everyone seemed odd,
And so in my despair,
I turned at last and cried to God,
To see if He was there.

The Lord knew all about my thirst;
He heard my lonely cry.
Indeed, He sought and found me first
To save and satisfy!

O Lord, in You we find the well
That satisfies our soul,
That saves us from eternal hell,
And makes us truly whole.

No comments: