Saturday, July 26, 2008

Calling and Caring

"When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then Thou knewest my path.... I looked on my right hand, and beheld, and but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul" (Psalm 142:3,4).

Lord, as I think of my troubling youth,
When so overwhelmed by the prospect of wrath,
Searching in vain for the knowledge of truth,
You cared for my soul and You then knew my path.

I looked on my right hand for someone to care;
No one would know me; none cared for my soul.
I called out to You, Lord, in desperate prayer:
You heard me, You answered, and You made me whole.

You were the One, Lord, who prompted my heart
To search for a refuge, and find it in You.
You warned me and wooed me that You might impart
A hunger within me to know what is true.

The truth of Your holiness taught me Your fear.
The truth of Your kindness then taught me Your love.
I called, and You cared, and You brought me so near,
That You'll not be closer (though clearer) above.

No comments: