Saturday, March 08, 2008

Sorrow, Salvation, Sovereignty

"My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me? ... they pierced My hands and My feet .... I will declare Thy name unto My brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise Thee .... They shall praise the Lord that seek Him: your heart shall live forever .... All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the Lord: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before Thee. For the kingdom is the Lord's: and He is the Governor among the nations" (Psalm 22:1,16,22,26,27,28).

In this twenty-second Psalm
We can hear our Savior's prayer.
Words of sorrow, then of calm,
Then of victory are there.

"My God, My God," our Lord begins,
"Why hast Thou forsaken Me?"
When He bore our load of sins
On the cross of Calvary.

Then we hear His declaration,
To His brethren (we are named!)
Elevated by salvation;
Thus He calls us, unashamed!

Finally we'll see Him reign
Upon the earth as Sovereign Lord.
Yet His wounds of love remain,
Thus remembered and adored.

Behold His sorrow, His salvation,
And our Savior's sovereignty.
Give your heart to meditation
On this Psalm of prophecy.

No comments: