Sunday, February 07, 2016

Merciful Moderation


"Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them... Eye for eye, tooth for tooth" (Exodus 21:1,24).  "But I have trusted in Thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation.  I will sing unto the LORD, because He hath dealt bountifully with me" (Psalm 13:5,6).  "My son, keep My words, and lay up My commandments with thee... go not astray" (Proverbs 7:1,25).  "Let your moderation be known unto all men.  The Lord is at hand" (Philippians 4:5). 

The law would demand tooth for tooth
To punish a sinful behavior,  
But mercy that pardoned the truth
Is what we observed in our Savior.

By mercy we have our salvation
Through Christ, who for sinners has died. 
Let mercy display moderation,
Since we have been thus justified. 

So let us obey the command
To love as our Savior has spoken,
Observing His nail-scarred hand,
Recalling His love by this token. 

O Lord, we're constrained by Your love
That moderates mercy that's shown,
For soon, in Your presence above,
We'll give an account at Your throne.  


No comments: