Sunday, September 15, 2013

Larger Love

“When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then Thou knewest my path… I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.  I cried unto Thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my Refuge and my Portion in the land of the living” (Psalm 142:3-5). “Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD” (Hosea 6:3).  “Continue ye in My love… Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:9,13). 

In silence rest could not be found. 
There was no comfort in the crowd.
I didn’t know where I was bound;
Such questions then were not allowed.

I looked around to all my friends,
Yet they were not inclined to care
To know what happens when life ends
Or contemplate if God was there.

Thus overwhelmed and so alone,
I lifted up my eyes to seek
To see if God could be then known,
And if  He cared to hear me speak.

Since no one cared then for my soul,
There was a larger love I sought,
And such a love I found, so full,
Much greater than I ever thought!

For greater love has not been seen
Than that which Jesus Christ displayed,
Who died to make the sinner clean,
And listened to me when I prayed! 

The evidence was so compelling!
The prophets had so clearly spoken
Of Him by prophecies foretelling
The promises which were not broken!

The Lord had promised He would rise,
A prophecy His foes had heard. 
Praise God!  He opened then my eyes
To know that I could trust His Word!

And thus I prayed with confidence
To Him who saved me when I cried.
I saw, at last the evidence
Of larger love He would provide! 

Lord, thank You for Your larger love,
Much greater than we comprehend
That made You leave Your throne above
To be the sinner’s greatest Friend!


No comments: