Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hastening to Holiness

"I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto Thy testimonies. I made haste, and delayed not to keep Thy commandments" (Psalm 119:59,60). "Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man, who can find?.... Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?.... Man's goings are of the LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?.... Mercy and truth preserve the King, and His throne is upholden by mercy" (Proverbs 20:6,9,24,28).

I thought on my ways from my point of view,
But something just didn't seem right.
Despite the indifference of others, I knew
That I was condemned in God sight.

O where could I hide? How foolish the thought,
For no one can hide from the Lord!
I ran out of options until I had sought
For mercies from God unexplored.

How gracious was God who prompted my prayer
With a heart that was utterly humbled,
To cry out to Him, "O God, if You're there,"
And similar words which I fumbled.

Why should He hear me? Why would He incline
His ear to attend to my cry?
Certainly not for some goodness of mine,
But for His own love; that is why!

My prayer was so awkward! It hardly made sense,
But that didn't matter to God,
For heaven rejoices when one soul repents,
Though grammar and prose may be flawed!

I thank You today, Lord, for loving correction,
With counsel and wisdom so sweet,
So when I'm off course, I can change my direction,
And hasten to You with my feet!

No comments: