Sunday, May 06, 2007

Waking Words

"God shall send forth His mercy and His truth. My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.... Awake up, my glory, awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early. I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto Thee among the nations" (Psalm 57:3,4,8,9). "Wherefore He saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ will give thee light" (Ephesians 5:14).

Awake, my soul, with new desire!
Rise up from where you lie!
The sons of men are set on fire;
Can you not hear their cry?

The words they speak, like spears and arrows,
Their souls they thus consume.
Their path is bleak; the distance narrows
That draws them to their tomb.

Awake my soul, give praise to God,
And let His light be shown!
So let His mercy spread abroad;
So let His truth be known.

No comments: