Friday, April 04, 2008

Disappearing Disputes

"He [Jesus] taught His disciples, and said unto them, The Son of Man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill Him; and after that He is killed, He shall rise the third day. But they understood not that saying.... And being in the house He asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way? But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves who should be the greatest" (Mark 9:31-34).

What indeed have I disputed
Along the pilgrim way?
Were there words that were unsuited
I wish I didn't say?

Some disputes would disappear
If I would call to mind
That God can see and He can hear;
He's neither deaf nor blind.

And He is weighing every word
With all my meditation.
How many things will seem absurd
That filled my conversation?

And what instruction have I missed
Because I was impacted
By strife that should have been dismissed
That rendered me distracted?

Let me therefore hold my peace
And leave disputes alone
That tend to make my Lord decrease,
Instead of make Him known.

No comments: