Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Humbled by Hunger

"And He humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know, that He might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live" (Deuteronomy 8:3).

Every word that God has said
In this dry and barren land
Satisfies us with His bread
From His faithful, gracious hand.

If I never hungered so,
I would not have been humbled.
If I never longed to know,
In darkness I'd have stumbled.

I needed bread that satisfies;
Yet needed hunger too!
You taught me, Lord, to realize
My hunger was for You.

Thank you, Lord! I see it now
Here in Your sanctuary.
How lovingly You show me how
You give what's necessary.

No comments: