Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sleep that Slays

"If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain; if thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not He that pondereth the heart consider it? And He that keepeth thy soul, doth not He know it?.... Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: so shall thy poverty come as one that traveleth; and thy want as an armed man" (Proverbs 24:11,12,33,34). "Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep. So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? Arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not" (Jonah 1:6,7).

How shall I answer my Keeper
When He ponders my heart with disdain:
"What do you mean, O sleeper?
Will you not be concerned for those slain?"

I have no excuse for delay
With regard to my sleep in the past.
But while it is still called today
Let me rise from my slumber at last.

No comments: