Monday, April 18, 2005

The Cry to Christ

"When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then Thou knewest my path.... I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. I cried unto Thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living" (Psalm 142:3-5). "There is a Friend that sticketh closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24).

Overwhelmed upon the path
That led relentlessly to death.
Beyond that portal waited wrath,
When I would gasp my final breath.

I looked upon my right hand
To see if anyone would care,
To see even one could understand,
Alas! I found no one was there.

I cried to God (why did I wait?)
When I had come to my wit's end.
I cried before it was too late,
To Christ, the sinner's dearest Friend.

No comments: