Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Why the Woe?


"Why art thou cast down, O my soul?  And why art thou disquieted in me?  Hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance" (Psalm 42:5).  "Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel" (Isaiah 7:14).  "He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?" (Romans 8:32). 

My soul at times may be cast down,
But God will never leave me there. 
He comes to take away my frown
And bids me cast on Him my care. 

I view again the sign He gave:
Behold, a virgin bore God's Son!
Immanuel came forth to save
My sinful soul which was undone. 

"Immanuel" still signifies
That Jesus Christ is "God with us." 
How rightly, then, my heart relies
On Him whose love is marvelous! 

I do not hope for circumstances
That may or may not come about,   
Nor do I trust uncertain "chances"
Which only lead to woe and doubt. 

I trust the Lord, who for us all
Did not hold back the greatest Price: 
To rescue sinners from the fall
God's Son became our Sacrifice! 

O Lord, in view of what You said
And what the prophets said of You,
I'll trade my woe for joy instead,
Since all Your promises are true! 

Lord, send me forth, as I rejoice,
To show the cause for confidence,
For why should woe subdue my voice
When You are still my strong Defense? 


No comments: