Monday, December 07, 2015

Almost AND Altogether


"Cursed be Canaan... Blessed be the LORD God of Shem" (Genesis 9:25,26).  "Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me Thy law graciously" (Psalm 119:29).  "Keep My commandments, and live; and My law as the apple of thine eye" (Proverbs 7:2).  "Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.  And Paul said, I would to God, that... all that hear me this day, were both almost, AND altogether such as I am" (Acts 26:28,29).

The curse upon Ham was extended
To those who would follow his ways,   
For Canaan (his line that descended)
Would turn from the Lord in their days.   

It happens to souls undecided,
Content for a season with lies,
Who almost by truth had been guided,
But sin then distracted their eyes. 

Agrippa was almost persuaded
By everything Paul had explained. 
Beware, for when "almost" has faded,
The truth might no longer be gained. 

How many, O Lord, are in danger
Of almost, but not altogether,
Being convinced, yet a stranger
To God and the Gospel forever! 


No comments: