Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Expectations Expounded

"My soul, wait thou only upon God, for my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength and my refuge is in God" (Psalm 62:5-7). "The hope of the righteous shall be gladness: but the expectation of the wicked shall perish" (Proverbs 10:28).

In God is our rock and salvation;
There's no other refuge we find
That offers this sure expectation
Imparting His peace to our mind.

Though people may boast of tomorrow
And talk about plans that they cherish,
There's no other prospect but sorrow
For those without Christ who will perish.

How vain is the hope of the lost,
Who march on the path of destruction
Without ever counting the cost
For following Satan's seduction.

How blind are the hearts so deceived
Whose logic is darkly suspended:
For surely the lie they've believed
Will mock them (as Satan intended).

How different our hope in God is!
How rightly our hearts may be bold:
For all of the prophets are His
Who promises kept were foretold!

Our great expectation is found
By trusting alone in the Lord.
The logic for faith we expound
Is built on His Scriptures explored.

For faith in the things yet unseen
Is proven by God's evidence.
Should not logic here intervene?
Does not trusting God just make sense?

O Lord, we rejoice in Your Word
That fixes our hope upon You,
For thereby our hearts are assured
That our expectation is true!

No comments: