Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Broken Bridle

“I said… I will keep my mouth with a bridle… I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.  My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue, LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am… And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee” (Psalm 39:1-7).  “My son, keep thy Father’s commandment… When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee” (Proverbs 6:20-22). 

A fire is burning that cannot be quenched:
God’s Word is the fire; my heart is aflame.
A bridle is broken that cannot be fenced:
The Word of the Lord has refused to be tame.

I cannot be silent with so much at stake.
I’m moved as the sorrow within me is stirred.
Erupting volcanoes must certainly break,
And so will the heart that would bridle God’s Word.

I muse, for the fire within me is hot.
I speak as the bridle by God has been broken.
I preach as His Spirit illumines my thought.
I pray that the Gospel make clearly be spoken.

Unbridled, except by the Spirit of God,
I’m led as I know He will make no mistake.
He guides with His staff and He guards with His rod;
He talks to me daily the moment I wake.

The bridle is broken; now what wait I for?
My hope is in God who alone sets me free.
His Word is my comfort; now what need I more?
His Spirit is present to give liberty.

The bridle is broken, Lord, by Your command,
As You give me freedom, unfettered within.
Constrained by Your love and upheld by Your hand,
I’m set free to serve You, unhindered by sin.

No comments: