Sunday, February 07, 2010

Drinking Deeper

"As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after Thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God.... Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of Thy waterspouts" (Psalm 42:1,2,7). "For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God.... Therefore, leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on to perfection" (Hebrews 5:12, 6:1).

O Lord, as a deer I am thirsting for You,
Yearning to drink of Your truth deeper still
That I may discover and also may do
All that will move me to Your perfect will.

Deep calls to deep, Lord, from Your waterspouts
To call for surrender to You more and more.
Casting aside vain distractions and doubts,
What glories appear I have yet to explore!

How vast are the treasures, how great is their worth,
Embodied in Jesus our Savior and Lord,
The Maker of all things in heaven and earth,
Our Refuge, Redeemer, our Rock, and Reward.

The noise of Your waterspouts wake me from sleep
And call me to shine for You, Lord, while I may.
I'm searching Your glory, as deep calls to deep,
Amazed at the portraits of Christ on display!

How long I have settled for surface reflection,
Not heeding the call of the deep to my heart!
Now lead me, O Lord, to a deeper perfection;
There's no better time than the present to start!

No comments: